Oil and gas recruitment tactics are changing. Quickly. Put quite simply, the candidate pool is decreasing and recruiters are going to have to get creative. Some have already made a start and are tapping into skill pools further afield. Forward-thinking energy giants are cherry-picking countries rife with the disciplines desperately needed here and sending in their best recruiters, poised to sell a career in Europe’s oil capital.
Worldwide engineering and project management consultancy AMEC is pioneering this approach from Aberdeen, planning a series of recruitment events in the Czech Republic and Spain before the end of the year.
Hopeful potential expats can attend AMEC’s information days in Brno, Prague, Barcelona and Madrid to find out more about the company and, if they have the expertise that fits the UK’s needs, get invited back for an assessment day. The next step would be meeting AMEC’s technical and recruitment experts and, ultimately, a big move to the British Isles.
AMEC says it’s lucky to be in the situation where business is booming but knows there’s fierce competition for talent in Europe. It has pinpointed locations with strong industry links (a massive 27% of Barcelona’s workforce is engineers, for example!) and hopes to source bright workers looking for a fresh start in the UK.
So, why should skilled overseas workers jump at the chance to re-locate to the UK? Here are our five favourite things about Great Britain:
- Whether you’re up in the Scottish Highlands or nestled in an English village, you’re never far from a perfect postcard scene.
- The cuppa. Nothing washes down a meal better than a cup of tea.
- From medieval castles to historic battle sites to the Queen’s numerous homes, we’re never short of somewhere interesting to visit.
- We have to mention our culinary ‘delicacies:’ fish and chips, strawberries and cream, Sunday lunch, the bacon buttie and, of course, the faithful Scottish buttery.
- On a serious note, the NHS is something most of us take for granted but are very lucky to have in the UK.
Click here for more information about AMEC's events.